St John Ambulance Partnership
Vicinity is delighted to announce our partnership with St John Ambulance, one of the most trusted brands in Australia.
The partnership was forged by our desire to go above and beyond the government’s recommended Covid-19 safety guidelines and demonstrate our unwavering commitment to safe shopping practices.
St John is a self-funded charity in the Australian community working ‘For The Service Of Humanity’. Their mission for the future, whether acting alone or in partnership with others, is the provision of charitable and humanitarian services to individuals, groups and organisations. Their relief work for persons in sickness, distress, suffering or danger recognises no barrier of race, colour or creed.
Whilst they are most recognised for being Australia’s leading provider of first aid services, they are a multi-faceted organisation that provides support and training across numerous platforms, including community transport, event health services, manufacturing and supply of health-related equipment and more recently, mental health. They have also played a critical support role during the Covid-19 pandemic, including the following activity in Victoria alone:
- Transporting over 8000 confirmed and suspected COVID-19 cases by Non-Emergency Patient Transport crews, including aged care transfers.
- Transporting vulnerable people to and from their COVID-19 tests by St John volunteers, allowing over 1,500 vulnerable people in every corner of Victoria, from Mildura to Warrnambool, to conveniently and safely access services where they don’t have any other means of transportation.
- Doorknocking in hotspot Melbourne suburbs to encourage the public to complete their own COVID self-test, with subsequent collection of over 6000 COVID-19 tests in a combined staff and volunteer effort.
- Deployment to support both Peninsula Health and Mercy Health with additional staff in aged care and hospital wards, as PPE spotters, contract tracers and in many other support roles to keep these crucial services in operation.
- PPE distribution of the DHHS stockpile to locations all over Victoria such as COVID-19 testing sites, hospitals, aged care and GP clinic, ensuring next day delivery.
- Temperature screening of staff and visitors at organisations required to operate.
- Opening a 28-bed pop up field hospital – the St John Urgent Care Centre – at the Melbourne Showgrounds in just 36 hours. St John are one of the only organisations in Victoria capable of setting up a field hospital equipped with life-support if required.
St John Ambulance shares Vicinity’s commitment to community safety. Working closely together, they have reviewed our safety procedures and support the COVID-safe practices put in place at Vicinity. Along with training support services for both our staff and retailers, St John representatives will provide visible health services on the ground, supporting the safe re-opening of our centres in Victoria and during the busy periods in the lead-up to Christmas.